Subject: MSVC++, fork() and cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Frederick Jowett)

20 Feb 1997 03:49:22 -0800
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <c=GB%a=_%p=The_SQL_Group%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "'GnuWin Mailing List'" <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.993.5
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi folks,

I'm porting some code from UNIX (developed on Solaris 2.5) to NT (4.0
workstation), and my biggest bugbear at the moment is the inclusion of
fork() calls within the code. Since the Cygwin library (using beta 17)
provides fork functionality, I've been experimenting with a couple of
very simple C programs to basically demonstrate the forking process.

I can build such a program using gcc, and it seems to work fine.
However, when I try the same with Microsoft Visual C++ 4.2, the code
builds ok, but crashes upon execution of the fork() call (with an
"Access Violation").

Does anyone know how to build such a program with MSVC? (I'm assuming
it's some kind of linking problem).

Thanks,

	Fred Jowett
	The SQL Group
	[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".