echo - display a line of text
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output.
- do not output the trailing newline
- enable interpretation of the backslash-escaped characters
- listed below
- disable interpretation of those sequences in STRINGs
- display this help and exit (should be alone)
- output version information and exit (should be alone)
Without -E, the following sequences are recognized and interpolated:
- the character whose ASCII code is NNN (octal)
- alert (BEL)
- suppress trailing newline
- form feed
- new line
- carriage return
- horizontal tab
- vertical tab
Report bugs to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Copyright © 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.