General Purpose PostScript Generating Utility
3.1.1 Tasks Options
Task options specify the task a2ps will perform. It will not print,
it executes the task and exits successfully.
- Option: --version
- print version and exit successfully.
- Option: --help
- Print a short help, and exit successfully.
- Option: --copyright
- Display Copyright and copying conditions, and exit successfully.
- Option: --guess
- Act like
file does: display the (key of the) type of the
For instance, on a
C file, you expect it to answer `c', and
upon a PostScript file, `ps'.
This can be very useful on broken systems to understand why a file is
printed with a bad style sheet (see section 5.4 Style Sheet Files).
- Option: --which
- Look in the library for the files which names are given as arguments.
~ % a2ps --which bw.pro gray.pro
If there are several library files matching the name, only the first one
is reported: this allows to check which occurrence of a file is used by
- Option: --glob
- Look in the library for the files which names match the patterns given
as arguments. For instance:
~ % a2ps --glob 'g*.pro'
- Option: --list=topic
- Display a report on a2ps' status with respect to topic, and
topic can be any non-ambiguous abbreviation of:
- Give an extensive report on a2ps configuration and installation.
- Known media, encodings, languages, prologues, printers, variables,
delegations and user options are reported. In a word, anything that you
- Detailed list of the delegations. See section 4.10 Your Delegations.
- Detailed list of known encodings. See section 6.2.3 Some Encodings.
- Detailed list of known media. See section 4.4 Your Media.
- Detailed list of PostScript prologues. See section 8.6 Designing PostScript Prologues.
- Detailed list of printers and named outputs. See section 4.5 Your Printers.
- Detailed list of the known style sheets. See section 7.2 Known Style Sheets.
- Detailed list of the user options. See section 4.6 Your Shortcuts.
- Detailed list of the variables. See section 4.9 Your Variables.
There are also options meant for the maintainers only, presented for
sake of completeness.
- Detailed list of known style sheets in Texinfo format. If the
sheet verbosity is set, report version numbers, requirements and
- Detailed list of the style sheets in
- Detailed list of encodings, in Texinfo format.
- Detailed list of prologues, in Texinfo format.