3.7 Machine you would like to buy...
Q: What is the optimal system configuration for running DJGPP?
A: Here is the description of your dream machine (at least for the
next 6 months :-):
- the fastest CPU you can find on the market (a 733 MHz Pentium III, as of
this writing) with a 100 MHz memory bus and Intel 440BX chipset;
- at least 512KB second-level, a.k.a. L2, cache memory;
- 256 MByte RAM;
- PCI-based motherboard;
- 22GB SCSI-II hard disk with bus-mastering controller;
- DOS, device drivers and TSRs all loaded HIGH, leaving only 5K DOS
footprint in lower (under 640K) memory;
- 16 MByte RAM disk installed,
TMPDIR environment variable points to
it (e.g., set TMPDIR=e:, if E: is the RAM drive letter);
- 32 MByte of disk cache, set to delayed-write operation;